Model rocketry is an increasingly popular activity that is enjoyed by all ages in all seasons. Model rocketry is one of the activities welcomed in the Special Use Zone at Richard Bong State Recreation Area. Whether you are a family, individual, scout troop or school group launching a hand-full of small, low-power model rockets or a rocketry club sanctioned to fly high-power rockets, we may be able to accommodate your event.
The Special Use Zone (SUZ) is a unique, multi-use area at Richard Bong where a wide variety of activities may take place on a scheduled basis. Any event permitted in the SUZ must be approved to help ensure visitor safety, protection of the resources and to avoid conflict with other user groups.
Click Here for Guidelines
The following information should be understood, agreed to and met by all persons wishing to launch rockets.
- Individual rocket launching is open to the public during normal property hours and is on a first come basis.
- Rockets may be launched only in the designated launching pad area adjacent to parking lot JJ.
- A group of 25 or more that wishes to reserve an area and a day for a launch must fill out a Special Events Recreational Use License (2200-127) at least 30 days in advance and provide proof of insurance. There is a $25 reservation fee.
- If you wish to launch on a weekend it is recommended that you call prior to arrival to check for any reservations.
- As a precaution, anyone who launches rockets on Richard Bong SRA should have the means and ability to extinguish a fire. If you do not have a minimum of 5 gallons of water you may borrow a water extinguisher from the office for a deposit. Please do not use chemical extinguishers.
- Please check for and remove any litter in the launch zone and surrounding area.
- Enter the Bong phone number (262) 878-5600 into your cell phone to call if you have any concern regarding a fire. In an emergency, dial 911.
- Please ask where you are allowed to go for rocket retrieval, some areas are closed to protect wildlife.