What do I need to train my hunting dog?
- You must have a State Park Admission sticker on your vehicle. Cost for cars with Wisconsin plates is $7/day or $25/year; for cars without Wisconsin plates the cost is $10/day or $35/year.
- Anyone who uses live ammunition or handles live birds must purchase a Training License ($25.00). You do not need a training license if you are using starter pistols and bumpers. No one under 12 years of age may purchase a dog training license.
- There are specific areas in which dogs are trained. Occasionally areas may be closed, always call or stop at the Entrance Station to check availability. No training or trials may take place outside of these designated areas.
- The Class 2 grounds are closed for nesting season April 15th-July 31st.
- You may not use the Service roads or the “Runway” without a pass, available when you purchase your training license. Please check signs at service road entrances to determine their accessibility status.
- All birds used in training must be obtained from a licensed game farm. Receipts for birds must be carried “on person” and shown on request. All captive, wild birds must be banded with a DNR leg band prior to release—given to you when you purchase a training license. Bands must be kept in vehicles and not on your person. Training licenses must be kept on your person and shown on request.
- The field trial/training ground is a “carry in—carry out” area. Spent birds, crates, refuse and plastic ribbon markers must be removed from the grounds after training or trials are completed.
- No cutting of grounds vegetation is permitted unless pre-authorized by the park superintendent.
What do you do if I arrive and the office is closed?
You may not self register for a dog training license. If you already have an approved license and don’t have vehicle admission and still want to train you must self-register or be subject to a fine.
Directions to self register:
There is a labeled self-registration box located next to the ice machine at the Entrance Station. Lift the lid and there are arrows on the lid indicating which envelope to use for camping/vehicle admission stickers or trail passes or hunting. The registration and envelope are all one form. Please fill out the registration legibly and completely. There is a fee schedule located on the wall of the building (just above the lid), place the correct amount (we take checks or cash) in the envelope. Remove the top copy and place it on your vehicle dash (for camping and vehicle admission) or on your person (for trail or hunting passes). Peel off the strip, fold it over and seal the envelope. Put it in the slot in the yellow post. If you want an annual sticker or annual trail pass, make sure we can read your name and address and put the correct amount in the envelope. We will mail the sticker to you. If you do not self-register, you will be subject to a fine.